Skip to main content

Living in old Dhaka!

Recently we have bought an apartment in the old part of the city. Some people are not happy for it. But after spending few years, I know what the place can offer! With vibrant and rich cultural heritage, things here will certainly strike your sensory sensitivity and I feel simply great! My father also like it for its unique identity.

People like to live in posh areas where living is a matter of prestige. But is that all? Life has things beyond such prestige! Certain dialect, wonderful food and lively lifestyle of old Dhaka will enliven you in such an unromantic city!

As far as I know, in most of the cities in the world, old parts carry special significance. In Dhaka, it is also not otherwise. I also like it for the peculiar alleys and sub-alleys where moving requires extra maneuvers!!!

But you are welcome indeed to get the real Bangladeshi hospitality (fusion style) with space and ample air at our home! Ha-ha! Welcome to old Dhaka!

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi sabbir,
im rushdi.i hav read ur blog.its cool.u can contact with me at this id's nahdaaa@yahoo.com and vassel_of_values@hotmail.com.i will be available in messenger also with this id's

Popular posts from this blog

ode to a dream-smile

...don't get afraid as its half past two, I won't knock on thy door. Just came to see you for once. You didn't smile last time, I saw you off And I had to come... To see you smiling. You seem smiling now, May be its your lost friend, came back To make you smile. Or May be someone or something else... May be. I am happy to see you smiling. The silvery moonlight caressing your rosy cheeks, Soft breeze from the open window is combing Your cascading curly hairs. Muslin curtains are busy in tango with your glistening lips... Sleep. I will happily leave you now. Last night's sombre face is now dripped in heavenly happiness... Looking so complete, composed. Feeling like keep looking at forever. But I have to leave now. Don't feel upset knowing I was here and didn't talk to you, I talked like never before! Believe me! Ask the intoxicating scent Of the roses on your porch Or Your naughty strands! Or ... yourself. They will all tell about me! I was here last night ...

Studying Literature and Falling in Love!

"He was a medical student. One day, in his practical anatomy class, he found the fresh body he was going to dissect was his fiancĂ©e's…" "Then? What happened next?" You know what happened or might happen if it were you! "You are spoilt! Literature has spoilt you. Better not talking to you." He departs. My brother, whom I was talking to, is a bright medical student, argues often with me why I don't get good grades. I am studying literature. Not only my brother, all of my peers have been getting great good grades in their respective subjects. And me; engaged in an eternal romance escaping from study! Or really do I? Yes I call it romance. What else? When I read the poems by Keats written after being inspired by the Greek classical literature, I can identify myself and remain engrossed by it. The worlds of the Keats' Odes become mine when I read those. Though I don't possess the mastery over words like him to express my feelings, I feel the g...

...diary of a mermaid

It was a full moon today… with the brilliant and seductive moon, The shining moonlit night became surreal one The moon seemed to have come to meet With a mermaid… And a stupid boy also came, In this enchanting night… And waited beside the shore to meet her… The mermaid… He waited……waited When his friends came to take him home He refused to leave-such a moon… But he waited for his mermaid… It was such a beautiful night though. Deep at night when; The moon went behind the dark clouds, He fell asleep on the sandy sea shore… (Bechara ovimane klanto hoe ghumie poresilo... ) When at last, The coy mermaid came and; Find the boy; he was sleeping Bending his hand under his head …like a little kid She wiped the dirt on his forehead and Combed his disheveled hairs with Her rosy beautiful fingers … By that time, the orange omelet sun Started to rise… The mermaid left the boy giving a… On his cheeks and dipped into the sea again... The boy awake when sun stroked his eyes… ...he found a nice and kno...