Skip to main content

Studying Literature and Falling in Love!

"He was a medical student. One day, in his practical anatomy class, he found the fresh body he was going to dissect was his fiancée's…"
"Then? What happened next?"
You know what happened or might happen if it were you!

"You are spoilt! Literature has spoilt you. Better not talking to you." He departs.

My brother, whom I was talking to, is a bright medical student, argues often with me why I don't get good grades. I am studying literature.

Not only my brother, all of my peers have been getting great good grades in their respective subjects. And me; engaged in an eternal romance escaping from study! Or really do I?

Yes I call it romance. What else? When I read the poems by Keats written after being inspired by the Greek classical literature, I can identify myself and remain engrossed by it. The worlds of the Keats' Odes become mine when I read those. Though I don't possess the mastery over words like him to express my feelings, I feel the greatness in me that makes me take other things (exam etc.?!) petty mundane.

But when I am asked to tell how he treated which in his poems or when I have to sit for answering what on earth forced Tess (Character of Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy) to marry again, it seems to me disgusting and disappointing, as I was about to marry her… I simply cook up stories and get out of the exam hall!

What is my fault actually? I enjoy my subject. I like to read every single of the poems and novels and everything of my syllabus without thinking much about exam. When my fellows study very studiously and systematically, I travel across the meadows of rural England of Queen Victoria or become the seducer lover of "To his coy Mistress" or try to taste the humiliation of refusal reading the likes by W B Yeats' poems!

Eventually I become the loser for my stupidity for engaging my heart in the study. Well! Studying literature and detach the heart from it, how come? I don't know. But brain work is always important for getting grades. What an irony!

However, I know, my weird causes may serve some defensive purposes. Everyone knows, when you fall in love, you become master in making causes for escaping authority! I am no exception.
But is it totally improper to compare between sitting for these kinds of exams and putting someone's love under the scalpel while she is alive?

Sabbir Ahmed Osmani

Comments

shawon said…
ki bolbo? ...sundor... ebong oneker-i ei obostha bodhoy... academic study of arts (any) really asks for a more dispassionate mind than that for science.
Anonymous said…
Our sweetest songs tell us of our saddest thoughts- PB Shelly

You should go 'where the mind is without fear'- R Tagore

Do what your heart tells you. If you have the patience, your minds will agree sooner or later.

Asrar Chowdhury
Anonymous said…
It's not totally improper. Kintu
"sittiing for exams" k "putting your love under scalpel" hishebe na dekhe "describing your love; her merits as well as demerits" hishebe dekhte parle problemta ektu kome.
& I think both heart and brain r necessary coz I believe in Synthesis -
"Without contraries is no progression" (Blake)
i think tasin is right. though for me too, it's quite tough to analyze "lit"...don't worry. keep loving them. coz exams ar koto din. bhalobasha shobshomoy.
Unknown said…
Sorry for late response Sabbir.About the blog i must say its a Very good effort. Its really praiseworthy. Keep it up. All the best.
Anonymous said…
SHAHED said...
amar kache bishoe ta arekto complicative mone holo jokhon life er point of view theke deki . coz it's artful and changeing. but livelihood er point of view theke dekle mone hoe it's needed to be changed.Moreover we should remember 'WHAT IS LOTTED , CANNOT BE BLOTTE

Popular posts from this blog

ode to a dream-smile

...don't get afraid as its half past two, I won't knock on thy door. Just came to see you for once. You didn't smile last time, I saw you off And I had to come... To see you smiling. You seem smiling now, May be its your lost friend, came back To make you smile. Or May be someone or something else... May be. I am happy to see you smiling. The silvery moonlight caressing your rosy cheeks, Soft breeze from the open window is combing Your cascading curly hairs. Muslin curtains are busy in tango with your glistening lips... Sleep. I will happily leave you now. Last night's sombre face is now dripped in heavenly happiness... Looking so complete, composed. Feeling like keep looking at forever. But I have to leave now. Don't feel upset knowing I was here and didn't talk to you, I talked like never before! Believe me! Ask the intoxicating scent Of the roses on your porch Or Your naughty strands! Or ... yourself. They will all tell about me! I was here last night ...

...diary of a mermaid

It was a full moon today… with the brilliant and seductive moon, The shining moonlit night became surreal one The moon seemed to have come to meet With a mermaid… And a stupid boy also came, In this enchanting night… And waited beside the shore to meet her… The mermaid… He waited……waited When his friends came to take him home He refused to leave-such a moon… But he waited for his mermaid… It was such a beautiful night though. Deep at night when; The moon went behind the dark clouds, He fell asleep on the sandy sea shore… (Bechara ovimane klanto hoe ghumie poresilo... ) When at last, The coy mermaid came and; Find the boy; he was sleeping Bending his hand under his head …like a little kid She wiped the dirt on his forehead and Combed his disheveled hairs with Her rosy beautiful fingers … By that time, the orange omelet sun Started to rise… The mermaid left the boy giving a… On his cheeks and dipped into the sea again... The boy awake when sun stroked his eyes… ...he found a nice and kno...

Friends Forever...

After 17 years or so, we met today. It's incredible! Nothing less! I have met one of my childhood friends and her family today. We both lived in Libya for some dreamy days which we still remember with deep fondness. Those were the golden days of life-life in a beautiful oasis of Sahara desert. We were really good friends. I still remember the things we did specially one day, when... we decided to spend and play together. But we wanted to inform everyone that we decided not to include anyone but me and her. And we travelled across the whole neighbourhood to inform others(friends), we are not playing with you(other friends) today! And eventually sun had been set! We finished our play for that day and probably forever! Any way her brother who was a one year old kid, now a young man. And his father( my dad's colleague) and her mother-my mothers favourite have remained all the same persons with that warmness! I really won't forget the eventful reunion day! I am looking for some ...